Job Opportunity: Postodc position at the De Novo Synthetic Biology Lab
About Our Lab:
At the De Novo Synthetic Biology Lab, directed by Prof. Alfonso Jaramillo, we are at the forefront of therapeutics and synthetic biology. Our research endeavors focus on engineering synthetic organisms, particularly bacteriophages (phages), as novel solutions against antibiotic-resistant threats. We’re pioneering the genetic embedding of artificial intelligence within living cells, enabling them to adapt and evolve through reinforcement learning.
Our mission moves forward by establishing methodologies that allow us to design unique biological molecules, phages, and cells. Combining computational methods with experimental automated techniques, we’ve notably designed RNA, proteins, and gene circuits. Our lab also explores phage transduction, evolutionary techniques, and continuous culture bioreactors to accelerate evolution in the lab.
Position: Synthetic Biologist
Location: i2sysbio-CSIC. Valencia (Spain)
Salary & Contract:
- Base Salary: 30,000 Euros (additional salary components based on Master’s degree experience).
- Contract Type: Indefinite duration, not permanent.
– Design and optimize genetic circuits using selections in mutant libraries.
– Lead recombineering technologies.
– Lead protein engineering and directed evolution in continuous culture bioreactors.
– Responsible for large-scale DNA assembly experiments.
– Oversee integration of automation in experimental continuous culture workflows.
– Guide and supervise researchers: protocols, problem-solving, ensure documentation quality and use of LIMS.
– Communicate scientific findings, document daily on the internal wiki, and oversee contributions.
Skills, Experience, and Qualifications:
– Ph.D. in a related field, highlighting research excellence.
– Proficiency in gene circuits, recombineering, directed evolution, or protein engineering.
– Experience or deep knowledge with DNA assembly methods.
– Skill in genomic dataset analysis or readiness to learn autonomously.
– Familiarity with computational modeling to direct experimental protocols.
– Excellent problem-solving skills, a resilient work ethic, and a taste for tackling complex challenges.
– English fluency with effective scientific communication.
The Ideal Candidate:
We seek not just a synthetic biologist, but a world-changer. If you have a burning ambition to impact the world and unwavering confidence in your abilities, we want you. While skills are essential, we value commitment to excellence and intrinsic drive more.
How to Apply:
While there’s no set deadline, we’ll review applications until the position is filled. To apply: 1) Visit http://jaramillolab.org and discover our work. Reflect on what resonates with you. 2) Send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your letter, detail how you fit our requirements and highlight what excites you about our lab.
You want to join us by applying to funding agencies
Marie Curie Fellowship (PostDocs)
Fellowships for EU nationals (and other eligible people) with at least four years of research experience by the time of the call deadline and from outside Spain (EU funding rules). More info here.
La Caixa ‘Junior Leader’ Fellowship Programme (PostDocs)
‘Junior Leader’ is a programme launched by Fundación ‘La Caixa’ that offers PostDoc Fellowships (3 yrs) for incorporating high-calibre researchers to Maria de Maeztu and Severo Ochoa centres in Spain (where we have collaborations). More info here.
Ministerio MCIN/AEI (antiguas FPI) (Deadline 11/11/2021)
We have an opening in our group. You should apply through the website of the government.
PhD Fellowships (3 yrs) co-financed by the regional government for international students with a degree from non-Spanish institutions. More info here.
PhD Fellowships (4 yrs) by the Spanish government. More info here
PhD Fellowships (3 yrs) by the Spanish government. More info here
La Caixa Fellowship Programme INPhINIT-INCOMING (Deadline 4th February 2022)
INPhINIT is a programme launched by Fundación ‘La Caixa’ that offers PhD Fellowships (4 yrs) for incorporating high-calibre students to Maria de Maeztu and Severo Ochoa centers in Spain (where we have collaborations). More info here.
La Caixa Fellowship Programme INPhINIT-RETAINING (Deadline 25th February 2022)
INPhINIT is a programme launched by Fundación ‘La Caixa’ that offers PhD Fellowships (3 yrs) for incorporating high-calibre students from outside Spain (EU funding rules). More info here.
Undergraduate paid and unpaid internships
Insternships for Master Students
To do your Master Thesis with us. Applicants must have completed their Degree in Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Engineering, Mathematics or similar in the ongoing academic year with an average mark of at least 8.0 points.
Beca programa JAE introduccion a la investigacion
This scholarship programme provides an approach to a research career to those students who want to take their first steps in research. More info here.